Are you looking for an affordable solution to replace your missing teeth?
There are two types of dentures.
Full dentures are used when a patient has lost all the teeth in one or both arches.
Partial dentures are used when a patient still has some natural teeth remaining. These remaining teeth are used as anchors to stabilise the partial denture.
Replacing missing teeth has substantial benefits for your overall health and appearance. A denture replaces your natural teeth and provides support for cheeks and lips.
This can give support to sagging facial muscles and may help to rejuvenate your appearance, preventing that collapsed in look that is common when multiple teeth are missing.
Here at Smile Craft Dental, we can make your dentures in two different ways.
Conventional dentures are made and inserted after teeth have been removed and the tissues have healed. Healing may take several months.
Immediate dentures are inserted immediately after teeth have been removed so you will not be without teeth during the healing period. However, bone and gums can shrink over time, especially during the first six months after teeth have been removed. When gums shrink, immediate dentures may require relining or even replacing to fit properly.
We use three main materials for dentures:
Metal (chrome or titanium) – These are made with metal and acrylic. They are usually the thinnest, lightest, strongest and most stable.
Acrylic – With these it is easiest to add teeth in the future if they are to be lost.
Flexible – These dentures look great aesthetically and can feel very natural and comfortable.
The stages for making dentures:
- Our dentist will assess your mouth to check your teeth, gums, bone levels and your bite.
- Using this information, we will provide you with an individualised treatment plan.
- An initial mould of your teeth and gums is taken using an impression material.
- A secondary impression is taken with special custom-made trays in some cases, to record a more accurate impression.
- Wax blocks are shaped in your mouth by our dentist and are used to make an accurate record of your bite.
- A trial denture is made up to check for accuracy of fit and appearance. The trial denture will use the same colour and shape of teeth that will be on the final denture. Any changes can be easily done at this stage. If changes are needed, new trial dentures are made up and checked at a later appointment.
- The final denture is made at the lab once you are satisfied with your trail denture.
- After you receive your new denture, we will book a review appointment a week or so later, to check how you are adjusting to your denture. Some final adjustments to the denture may be needed.
- Usually you will need to come and see us here at Smile Craft Dental at least four times and the process can take over a month to complete.
This might seem like a lot, but we want to make sure you receive a denture that looks and feels great. We are also here to offer lots of advice on how to get used to wearing your new denture and how to look after it.
Our Newcastle practice is located at Elermore Shopping Centre, 137 Croudace Road, Elermore Vale NSW 2287. You can contact us on (02) 4048 0882.
Our Tuncurry practice is located at 2/25 Manning St, Tuncurry NSW 2428 and you can call us on (02) 6555 8989.
Our Wingham practice is located at 1/101 Isabella St, Wingham NSW 2429. You can contact us on (02) 6553 0220.
Our Willoughby practice is located at 61 Edinburgh Rd Willoughby East NSW 2068. You can contact us on (02) 9958 6458.