So, you have received your new set of dentures to replace your missing teeth or are planning to have one. If this is your first full denture, there are few things you should keep in mind when you will start using the new denture.
There are two ways you could have dentures made.
Either way there are things you should know about your dentures.
With an immediate denture, as dentures are inserted straight after extractions, it can cause sore spots and ulcers and can cause postoperative discomfort. Dentures may need adjustment during this period.
Also due to the rapid gum shrinkage that occurs within the first few months after extractions, you will go through periods of a loose-fitting denture. Following the healing period (3-6 months post extraction), a relining will need to be performed to make the denture fit properly.
The following are the main points you need to keep in mind.
1) Initial adjustment period with dentures is important.
You must realise that dentures are a replacement for having no teeth at all but they do not function the same way as natural teeth. It needs to be understood that you will have to go through adjustment phase every time you have new denture especially if you wearing denture for first time.
The following factors can cause difficulty in adjusting to new dentures:
2) Full dentures are made up of acrylic.
One thing is acrylic is plastic and prone to breaking. Due to the types of materials which are necessary in the construction of dentures, breakage may occur even though the materials used were not defective.
It can be due to but not limited to:
3) Important to keep dentures clean. Other thing to keep cleaning for dentures, cleaning tables, polyydent , brushing
4) Although there are no teeth in mouth but it is still important to see dentist regularly. It is important to have gums and bones checked regularly to assess for oral cancer.
5) Life span of denture. Average life span of dentures is 5 -7 years.
Loose Dentures: Dentures normally become looser when there are changes in the supporting gum tissues as dentures themselves do not change unless subjected to extreme heat or dryness.
6) Some general tips
So is it time to schedule the next step and finally get those dentures? Give us a call today to book your appointment!