Ill-fitted and wobbly are the words which come to mind the moment someone mentions denture. However, the image which has been implanted into the minds of people can be altered with a little effort and planning. If a temporary denture does not work for you, there is always the goodness of a permanent denture to turn to. However, nothing is above limitations. Everything in life comes with some advantages and disadvantages. A denture is not above the law of nature. You may find it amazingly helpful for your dental issues. However, there are times when you may find it a little problematic as well. It all depends on how you handle the denture and make it work for you. The best thing to do is to know about the pros and cons of the denture from the beginning.
The best thing about the permanent denture is – it does not come with the usual hassle of temporary dentures. Therefore, if you go for it, you will be able to eat, bite, and even chew, with this dental gear on. Thus, a permanent denture is going to be the easiest and the best dental solution. Fixed dentures can also be called non-removable dentures. Before fixing this dental gear to your mouth, the dentists will check your mouth to find out the state of your dental condition. Once they find ample information about your dental health status, they can design the denture for you. Now, let’s have a look at the benefits of dentures and some of their disadvantages.
Benefits of Dentures
The greatest benefit of this dental gear is that it allows you to step out in public with confidence. You will not have to hide your mouth ever again while smiling. Once your inferiority complex dies, you become more confident. It is the biggest benefit of the denture.
- Dental surgeries can be lengthy in nature. It does not take a lot of time to perform dental surgeries, it takes a long time to recover as well. However, the denture is a quick surgery that does not take a lot of time. You will not have to spend days waiting to recover either. Therefore, going for a permanent denture can be of great help, if you are looking for a quick dental solution.
- Removable dentures don’t offer the ease of leading a normal life. You will not be able to eat properly or speak properly, and also you will feel awkward for a long time. On the other hand, a permanent denture does not restrict eating or speaking ability. You can eat and speak without trouble even if you are wearing permanent dentures. Therefore, it is a great solution for those who are tired of removable dentures.
- Permanent dentures are great for biting ease. While removable dentures take the ability to bite while the dental gear is still on, permanent dentures don’t limit your ability to lead a normal life. You can still bite with ease and enjoy your meal.
- Durability is another key aspect of permanent dentures. If you don’t want to replace your dental gear over and over again, permanent dental gear will be your best friend. You will not have to remove the dental gear and get a new one frequently. Therefore, it saves a lot of money as well.
- You will not have to fuss over the dental gear all day long. It does not require hours of maintenance time. You don’t even have to remove it for cleaning or washing. The low maintenance aspect of the dental gear makes it an amazing addition to the dental gear family. It does not keep you worrying about damaging it all the time. Therefore, you get to live freely despite the dental gear being placed on your teeth.
- If you are looking for a natural and youthful appearance, a permanent denture is a right pick for you. It does not hinder your natural beauty. If anything it adds to the facial beauty. Therefore, you will not have to worry about losing your normal looks if you go for a permanent denture.
- Dentures help in removing gum bleeding by supporting facial features. It is an amazing way to change the look of your face and appear more beautiful.
Well, as it is mentioned above, dentures have some limits or challenges attached to them. Therefore, you need to be aware of them before making any decision. Given below is a list of disadvantages to look for.
- You may have to visit the dentist frequently when you get the denture. The first few months are essential because during the first few months gum and dental features go through a serious transformation. Therefore, dentists will want to monitor the changes and for it, you will have to visit the dentists’ clinic which might hinder your daily life.
- Permanent dentures are usually fitted within six months of losing teeth. Therefore, you may have to bear the additional expenditure right after going for dental treatment. It may not be convenient for a lot of people.
- Sometimes remnants of decayed teeth remain inside the mouths. In this case, fitting a denture turns out to be a challenge. It is because the dentures do not fit due to the existence of the decayed teeth still clinging to the gum. Usually, dentures are the best options when your gum has healed after losing a tooth or several teeth. Therefore, you need to check with a dentist before deciding to opt for dentures right after losing your teeth.
- The cost might be a factor when you are opting for immediate dentures. These are more expensive than the traditional ones. However, once fitted, you will be able to see the result within a few months.
If you are satisfied with everything, you can go for dentures. A reputed dentist will be able to tell you what you can expect. Usually, you will not be able to remove dentures for the first 24 hours if you are going for removable dentures. You can expect some sort of swelling. Your dentist will tell you what to do to control swelling. However, you can use an ice pack to cope with the discomfort.